If you are thinking about a degree in the health field, you should consider looking into taking your health care specialist degree programs online. This is because health professions and their related programs have the second-most online degrees available online with a whopping 374 courses of study.
Gaining a medical coding certification online is just one of these promising careers. Here are some simple things to know before enrolling.
There is a rising demand
Medical coding specialists work within doctor’s offices and currently, there are over 105,000 certified professional coders (CPCs) working in across the nation. However, the demand for these professionals is only going to rise as the population of the nation grows. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for CPCs will grow up 22% by 2024. So the time is now to get your degree and you will soon be part of the action!
What you need
In order to get the job, the CPC needs to have demonstrated an impeccable knowledge of multiple coding sets including:
- Current Procedural Terminology (CPT): what the current standards for how medical professionals both document and report their medical evaluations such as surgery, laboratory services, radiology, anesthesiology, and evaluation and management.
- International Classification of Diseases (ICD): the code for multiple different diseases and their related health problems.
- Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS): this is the standardized coding system that is used primarily by Medicare and other health insurance providers. These codes are typically used when corresponding with insurance and filing claims.
How you’ll get there
To pass the test, a CPC will have to demonstrate a knowledge of a few specific things. Some sectors of the exam will cover:
- Creating and reviewing accurate medical codes for multiple different diagnoses and procedures.
- Knowing the coding for a variety of different applications including radiology, anesthesia, surgery, pathology, and prescription medication.
- The regulations of different medical coding sets.
- How to integrate medical coding into different real life experiences.
- A complete understanding of anatomy and the medical terminology used by insurance companies and medical specialists.
Interested in gaining your medical coding certification online? Contact our professionals today to get started!